Steam Profile

Monday, April 27, 2015

New Direction


Hello Everyone,



It has been a little over a year since I actively wrote here, so I first want to apologize for that. Between Moving, Marriage, Medical issues, and life in general, I haven't had time to devote to writing. I don't get paid to do this and it can get time consuming, so I write when I find I have the time.



I now live in rural Pennsylvania with my wife. It is a much different setting from the Greater Philadelphia area where we used to live. LGBT outreach seems virtually non-existent here, which is why we've been trying to start our own outreach program. We started auctioning off items for charity this past Christmas, to help the local food pantry as well as raise money for LGBT outreach; However, our holiday charity drive only netted 30 dollars, from 2 donors who also happened to be close friends of ours. It was a disappointment, when stacked against the news stories of anti-gay business owners raising hundreds of thousands off their own bigotry. Still we haven't given up and plan on making the holiday auctions a new holiday tradition.



As far as writing goes, I'm not entirely sure where to begin or how to proceed with the direction of this blog. I read the news daily and feel utterly exasperated at the absolutely insanity taking place, just about everywhere. It feels almost surreal, to watch police murdering unarmed people, governments rewarding the wealthy while penalizing the poor, and people going about their lives while the injustice, bigotry, and utter ignorance reeks from all corners of society, as no one seems to care. My wife likes to say, "People bury their heads either in the sand, or up their ass". It is hard to admit, but I think it is precisely that way of living, that has led to the problems we have in society today. To many people have lived with blinders on for too long, and now we are at a point where correcting the problems of our society has become overwhelming, leading most people to want to bury their heads further, rather than face the problems.



I don't know if we can fix all the ills of our society in our lifetime. I have my doubts about the will of the human race, when it comes to making the changes necessary to ensure our species endures and prospers. All I know is, one person, one voice alone has as much impact as a pebble dropped into the ocean. All someone like me can do is try to make an impact within my own life, in my own way and hope I do enough to at least make a difference in someone’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment